¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸, PotpourrEMAIL ¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º¤º°` Vol. 5, No.5 - 1 November 2003. Circulation: 250 and growing! (C) 1999-2003 Boylston Historical Society and Museum 7 Central St., PO Box 459, Boylston, MA 01505 firstname.lastname@example.org 508-869-2720 Editors: Betty L. Thomas and Judith Haynes Boylston Historical Society and Museum Web Page: http:www.boylstonhistory.org CONTENTS. Welcome; "The History of Boylston 1642-1741"; Tidbits; BHS News; On The Web; Humor ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º¤º°`°º¤ø,¸ ¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º Welcome to our Email newsletter! For those of you who are not members of BHS and don't receive the snailmail newsletter, it is called The Potpourri. Sooooo, we thought the appropriate name for this version would be PotpourrEMAIL. This Email version is not meant to repeat or copy the snailmail version, but to complement it, with the addition of topics of interest to those with computer and web capabilities. If you have a story to tell, information to impart, a good joke, computer or web genealogy info, a Boylston genealogy query, or anything that would be of interest to our readers--please Email us at: email@example.com ~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+ IMPORTANT INFORMATION We have changed our web URL, email, and email newsletter subscribing and unsubscribing process. Please change your bookmarks/ Favorites/ address books. BHSM web site: http://www.boylstonhistory.org general email: firstname.lastname@example.org PotpourrEMAIL newsletter: general comments, submissions, etc. - email@example.com To subscribe: firstname.lastname@example.org To unsubscribe: email@example.com When subscribing or unsubscribing put only the word subscribe or unsubscribe in the body of the email. You will then receive a confirmation email...when you get it just hit reply and the action will take place automatically. OR got to this web page to subscribe or unsubscribe http://mail.boylstonhistory.org/mailman/listinfo/potpourremail_boylstonhistory.org If you ever have any problems subbing or unsubbing... contact our general potpourrEMAIL address above. ~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+ "The History of Boylston 1642-1741" The following is from Vol.II of the Historical Series. This book is no longer available for sale, but there are bound copies of all the Historical Series books in the Museum's Fuller Research Library, the Boylston Public Library, the DAR Library and the Allen County Public Library [Fort Wayne, IN.] There are drawings, sketches and photos in the book that we cannot include in this Email. "The History of Boylston 1642-1741" A Critical Edition of the Papers of George L. Wright by William O. Dupuis Volume II in the Boylston Historical Series Revised edition 1978 CHAPTER 5 THREE LEGISLATIVE GRANTS IN BOYLSTON George L. Wright As has already been stated, the territory constituting the town of Shrewsbury was largely made up of individual and private grants made by the Great and General Court of the Massachusetts Bay. Three or four of these lay almost wholly within the present limits of Boylston and West Boylston. The Malden Grant Of these, the Malden Farm Grant, made by the General Court in 1655 to the church in Malden, contained 1,000 acres, and lay partly within Boylston, and partly within West Boylston. A line running through the centre of this lot from north to south dividing it into two equal sections is the present town line between Boylston and West Boylston. This grant was long a matter of dispute between the Malden Church and the Shrewsbury Proprietors, and led to long and continual litigation in the Colonial and Provincial Courts of Law, and many are the entries on the Proprietors' Records relative to it. Under the provisions of the grant, it was to be surveyed and located, and settlement began upon it within three years, which was not done. About 100 acres of this grant came within the Worcester bounds, and after the settlement of Worcester and Shrewsbury began, some of the settlers located upon the territory which the Malden people claimed was a part of their grant, and suits were brought against them and the Proprietors of Shrewsbury by the Church in Malden, led by Rev. Joseph Emerson, their minister, who was the great grandfather of Ralph Waldo Emerson, the Concord sage and poet. The matter was tried out in the Court of Common Pleas, where the Worcester and Shrewsbury people won the case. It was then carried to the Superior Court of Judicature, as the Supreme Court was then called, and the decision of the inferior court was reversed. The Shrewsbury settlers then carried the matter to the General Court on appeal-petition, where it was acted upon at each session for several years, the petition being repeatedly renewed and dismissed. The proceedings before the General Court constitute the last recorded action found regarding the matter. It is said that Col. N.Ward, the most prominent of the Shrewsbury settlers, and the father of General Artemas Ward of Revolutionary fame, was admitted to the bar for the special purpose of appearing as counsel for the Shrewsbury settlers in this famous case. The Davenport Grant The Davenport Grant was made to Capt. Richard Davenport, the commander of the Castle in Boston Harbor (afterwards known as Fort Independence) in 1658.  This grant contained, according to the notes of the survey in 1659, 600 acres, but in reality, from what is now known of its extent and bounds, it must have contained nearer 1,000 acres. It was situated in the valley of the Nashua River, and wholly within the present limits of Boylston and West Boylston, extending from a point near the West Schoolhouse, in Boylston, to a point as far westerly at least as the old stone bridge in the valley at West Boylston, and as far southerly as the high-land bordering on the Nashua River, to and below the Scar Hill Bluffs in Boylston, and thence northeasterly to where it began.  Captain Richard Davenport was killed by lightening, or as the Massachusetts Bay Colonial Records say," By ye solemn stroke of thunder," July 15, 1665, while sleeping beside the powder magazine in the Castle. He came from England to Salem with Governor John Endicott in 1628, and was a prominent man in the colony. The grant remained unsettled for nearly three-quarters of a century after it was made and confirmed. William and Richard Davenport, grandsons or great grandsons of Capt. Richard Davenport, were living on the grant as early as 1731 or 32, and so far as can be ascertained, they were the first ones of the Davenport family to occupy any portion of it. The Davenport's that occupied any portion of the grant settled on the easterly part of it where they built two houses, which were last occupied in the Davenport name by the families of the two brothers, Mathew (or James as he was known during the latter part of his life) and Nathaniel. The house of Mathew Davenport was last occupied by Dr. Franklin B. Willard. His brother Nathaniel built the house southeasterly of Mathew's place, where he lived until his death. This place was afterwards owned and occupied by Nathan Daggett, who built another larger house there, on the area of the house of Mathew Davenport, and fronting on the road leading from West Boylston, through Sawyer's Mills to Clinton. A large portion of the Davenport Grant was occupied by the Beaman family, of whom mention will be made in another chapter. The brothers, Mathew and Nathaniel Davenport, were both magistrates, and to distinguish them apart, were known as Lawyer Mathew Davenport, and Squire Nathaniel Davenport. They were both much employed in town affairs, and Nathaniel was Town Clerk of Boylston from 1826 to 1838: one of the Selectmen for 11 years, and Representative to the General Court in 1849. On a place of the Davenport Grant,  on file in the Registry of Deeds, on which the grant is divided into three parcels, and the area of the three parcels is given as follows: west parcel 318 acres, middle parcel 310 acres, and east parcel 254 acres. This would make the entire area 882 acres, besides the hundred acre grant not included within the bound of the Davenport Farm proper. The Davenport Farm also included the farms last owned and occupied by L. Hallock, Levi Moore, O. Pierce, and James Greenwood, Clarence Potter, and Capt. Robert Andrews, Jr. Footnotes 41.Of the Davenport Grant there remains today an interesting monument the so-called Beaman Oak, located in Lancaster. It is the largest oak tree in the state, and its trunk is said to be filled with iron spikes hammered stoutly home by Ezra Beaman's own hand to induce all future woodmen to "spare that tree". 42. Now under the Wachusett Reservoir. 43.It is on the Davenport Grant in 1785 that the event of the Moneydiggers took place. This tale is told in Volume III of the Boylston Historical Series. Next Month- SEWALL FARMS GRANT ~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+ Tidbits is BACK !!! SEPT 21, 1930 DR E. W. GLIDDEN HEADS HOSPITAL Lakeville Man ApPointed to Executive Post of TB Institution Dr. Edson W. Glidden of Lakevil1e has. been named superintendent of the new tuberculosis hospital to be erected on the Hunting farm at Boylston and West Boylston by the county of Worcester at a cost of more than $1,000,000. Dr. Glidden. appointed by the county commissioners, Is now at the farm supervising the preliminary work preparatory to the erection of the buildings which may get under way early next year. Forced to care for Its own tubercular patients when the state officials refused to accept any more county patients at the state sanitarium in Rutland the county commissioners viewed several sites and decided on, the Maj. Arthur I. Hunting farm In Boylston and West Boylston. Dr. Gildden has been In Alto, Ga.. supervising the construction of a hospital there and has also been In charge of a. hospital at Lakeville. He was selected from a group of physicians familiar with hospital supervision and comes to this section highly recommended by hospital authorities in the South and New England. The cost of the hospital originally set at $600,000 is now believed to exceed $1,000,000. When the $600,000 was granted by the Legislature and another $500,000 was requested by the county commissioners to complete the buildings, considerable protest was registered from the county officials throughout the county. The cost of the hospital will be apportioned among the towns and cities of the county with the exception of Fitchburg and Worcester. These two cities maintain their own hospitals. The buildings are to be of fireproof construction and will eventually accommodate 150 beds. Worcester Telegram - Friday Morning, October 10, 1930 Tuberculosis Hospital Will Be Built in Spring Architects Rushing Plans for $1,000,000 Structure in Boylston and Excavation May Start This Fall Architects are rushing plans for the new tuberculosis hospital about to be built by Worcester county in Boylston, but because of the amount of detail involved, it is not expected that construction will begin until spring. The county commissioners, however have hopes of starting excavation this fall. The sanatorium is expected to cost about $1,OO0,O0O and will provide facilities for 100 patients. In addition the main administrative and hospital building pictured above, the project will include a power house, nurses' home, physicians' residences, superintendent's home and several smaller farm buildings. The State Legislature has authorized an expenditure of $1,000,000 on the Institution. The hospital will be situated on an elevation about one half mile west of Morningdale in Boylston. More than 300 acres of land have been acquired, located partly in Worcester, West Boylston and Boylston. To Apportion Cost The cost will be apportioned among the cities and towns of the county, exclusive or Worcester and Fitchburg, which cities maintain their own hospitals. Each community will be allowed 20 years In which to meet the indebtedness. A plan whereby the county borrow money for the project as a whole to reduce interest costs was called Impossible at a meeting of the selectmen, Wednesday, In Petersham, because of existing legislation.A new act by the State Legislature would be required to bring this plan into operation, It was declared by County Treasurer Ralph R. Kendall. Bids for a road leading to the hospital site from Morningdale will be opened this morning at the county commissioners' office. The land near the site has been cleared. ~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+ BHSM News 2003 - 2004 PROGRAMS and EVENTS All Programs open to the public and held at the Society (unless otherwise noted). 7 Central St., Boylston Donations at the door are gratefully accepted! ------------------------------------------------ ONGOING "We Were There" exhibit Exhibit focuses on the World War II military careers of three Boylston soldiers... Victor Delnore, Fenton Bean, and Florence Swenson Tobiesen Smith. The exhibit is open during normal open hours. On our Web Site: Share your memories of WW II ...whether you were in the service, at home, at school, or college. Fill in the form and hit submit...it's as easy as that! http://www.boylstonhistory.org/ww2form.htm Reform, Restore, & Rally- A Civil War Event Gerald Groccia put all the photos he took on his web site. You can also purchase them from the web site. http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?EventFrame?event=05IT0001 Watch for the WBAC TV - 11 Local Access coverage of the events. NOVEMBER "Hillside My Refuge" Thursday, November 20 7:30pm Slide Lecture by William Dupuis detailing the history, architecture, 1development, people, owners and modern rehabilitation of John B. Gough's Boylston home, Hillside. Nonmembers - $3 Members - $2 Under 18 FREE PLEASE NOTE - THIS LECTURE HAS BEEN CHANGED FROM NOV. 13 TO THE 20TH ------------------------------------------------------ December "Vintage Toy Display" - Two Sundays - Dec. 7 and 14 2 pm - 4pm Free Featuring toys from the BHSM collection including trains, cars, trucks, and a doll house. Don't miss this one time display! Bring the kids and grand kids ----------------------------------------------------------- Visit the gift shop http://www.boylstonhistory.org/gift.htm ~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+ On the Web ...for the month of November 5th - Guy Fawkes Day http://www.infoplease.com/spot/guyfawkes.html http://www.bcpl.net/~cbladey/guy/html/celeb.html 8th - death of John Milton - 1608-1674 http://www.richmond.edu/~creamer/milton/ http://www.dartmouth.edu/~milton/ 10th - Birthday of Martin Luther - 1483-1546 http://www.iclnet.org/pub/resources/text/wittenberg/wittenberg-luther.html http://www.luther.de/en/ 11th - Veterans Day http://www.appc1.va.gov/vetsday/ http://www.vfw.org/amesm/origins.shtml http://www.umkc.edu/imc/vetsday.htm 25th - Evacuation Day - celebrated in NYC http://www.mcny.org/Collections/decart/fpmmcoll1.htm http://www.newsday.com/extras/lihistory/4/hs429a.htm 27th - Thanksgiving http://teacher.scholastic.com/thanksgiving/ http://wilstar.com/holidays/thanksgv.htm ~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+ Humor - An elderly woman died last month. Having never married, she requested no male pallbearers. In her handwritten instructions for her memorial service, she wrote, "They wouldn't take me out while I was alive, I don't want them to take me out when I'm dead". ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º¤º°`°º¤ø,¸ ¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º PERMISSION TO REPRINT articles from PotpourrEMAIL is granted unless specifically stated otherwise, PROVIDED: (1) the reprint is used for non-commercial, educational purposes; and (2) the following notice appears at the end of the article: Written by -author's name, e-mail address, and URL, if given- Previously published by PotpourrEMAIL, PotpourrEmail, Vol. 5, No.5 - 1 November 2003. Please visit Boylston Historical Society and Museum's main Web page at http://www.boylstonhistory.org This newsletter is distributed monthly, on the first day of the month, to all Boylston Historical Society members (who have Email!), genealogists, and friends who have a special interest in the history of the town of Boylston. ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º¤º°`°º¤ø,¸ ¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º Boylston Historical Society and Museum 7 Central St., POB 459 Boylston, MA 01505 www.boylstonhistory.org 508-869-2720 _______________________________________________ Potpourremail Email Newsletter Potpourremail@boylstonhistory.org http://mail.boylstonhistory.org/mailman/listinfo/potpourremail_boylstonhistory.org To UNsubscribe: Send a message to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the word unsubscribe in the body When the confirmation arrives, hit reply and you will be unsubscribed. Boylston Historical Society and Museum 7 Central St., POB 459 Boylston, MA 01505 www.boylstonhistory.org 508-869-2720 _______________________________________________ Potpourremail Email Newsletter Potpourremail@boylstonhistory.org http://mail.boylstonhistory.org/mailman/listinfo/potpourremail_boylstonhistory.org To UNsubscribe: Send a message to: email@example.com When the confirmation arrives, hit reply and you will be unsubscribed.